Kamila IvanováTeaching Hospital Trnava, Slovakia
Title: Psychiatric aspects of bariatric surgery: Obesity an escalating problem
Metabolic-bariatric surgery is a relatively new but increasingly more used treatment of morbid obesity, which has become one of the most serious and fastest growing illnesses in developed countries and represents a significant medical and socio-economic problem. Obesity is a severe chronic disease which is associated with risk of severe major non-communicable diseases. In the last decades, drawing evidence had come to light connecting a variety of mental disorders with obesity including possible neurobiological connections. Due to the lack of empirical support for long term efficacy of non surgical interventions, bariatric surgery has been considered as the most effective treatment method for morbid obesity and its comorbidities, however, new evidence suggests that in some patients it can also have a negative impact on their mental health. In this presentation we look closely into the most performed surgical procedure in Slovakia - sleeve gastrectomy in which approximately 80% of the stomach is removed with the intent of restricting food intake. Approximately 40% of candidates for bariatric surgeries show at least one psychiatric diagnosis. Identification of these disorders improves the quality of pre-operative management and helps to predict the process of weight loss and the compliance of patients after the procedure. The aim of this presentation is to introduce a brief overview of the issue of obesity, zoom in on the basics and principles of metabolic-bariatric surgery and discuss the risk factors for becoming obese, possible psychological profile of a patient interested in bariatric surgery with the main goal to analyze mental and psychological aspects of bariatric surgeries with focus on the role of a psychiatrist in pre and post-operative process.
Physician with more than 7 years’ experience in the field of psychiatry and attestation in the field (June 3,.2020), with previous 2 years of clinical experience in radiation and clinical oncology, including clinical oncology studies and one and a half years’ experience in the field of medical examiner for the Office of Labor, Social Affairs and Family in Trnava.
- Empathetic, communicative and detail-oriented person focused on work performance, efficiency and exactness.
- Currently employed at Psychiatric Department of the Teaching Hospital Trnava as Deputy Head of Department.
- From October 1,.2020 included in the postgraduate specialization study in the specialization field: Master of Public Health (MPH) at the Slovak Medical University in Bratislava.
- Member of the Slovak Psychiatric Society.
- From March 2022 member of the Slovak Obesity Association.
Skills and competencies
- Communication and presentation skills
- Analytical thinking
- Studied at Comenius University in Bratislava, Faculty of Medicine, degree: MUDr. (2001- 2007)
- During medical studies practised several months at the Institute of Experimental Oncology of the Slovak Academy of Sciences in Bratislava (SAV)
- July 2007 – January 2012 National Oncology Institute, Bratislava -Secondary physician
- July 2007 – September 2008 worked at Department of Radiation Oncology
- Physician at Radiation Oncology Ward, responsible for comprehensive management of patient care indicated for external radiotherapy or brachytherapy
- Participated in the preparation of individual radiation plan
- September 2008 – January 2009 worked at Department of Clinical Studies
- Selected suitable patients for clinical studies
- Direct administration of clinically tested drugs of patients with comprehensive monitoring and collection of clinical data - conducted in English
- Cooperation with specialized departments within the National Oncology Institute and with international oncological research centers
- January 2009 – January 2012 maternity and parental leave
From June 2016 to December 2017: Office of Labor, Social Affairs and Family Trnava – Medical Assessor
- Elaborated expert medical reports based on the detailed study of medical documentation (adults, children – reviewing requests for extension of parental leaves)
- Knowledge of relevant legislation
- Expertly assessed the severity of diagnoses and the degree of functional disability of severely disabled persons and subsequently assigned allowances such as disability cards, personal assistants, financial compensations, nursing, etc.
- Personal consultations with patients through commissions
- Considered and acknowledged the suitability / unsuitability of free job positions offered to citizens listed by the Office of Labor, Social Affairs and Family Trnava
From February 2012 until now: Psychiatric Department, University Hospital Trnava - Psychiatrist, Deputy Head of Department
- Management of psychiatric treatment of patients in the general psychiatric ward - in the acute and post-treatment phase of treatment
- Diagnosis of mental disorders, including associated somatic diseases
- Psychopharmacological medication and psychotherapeutic intervention
- Participation in clinical trials
- Lectures and publications
- Management of patients in the day psychiatric stationary
- Dispensary for outpatients, including patients on depot injectable antipsychotics
- Hospital emergency services
- From April 2015 to May 2018 on maternity / parental leave
- From May 2018 returned to full-time employment
- In July 2018 lectured and discussed the topic of depression and anxiety at the music festival Pohoda Pieš-any / project DOCTOR TENT
- Clinician within the University Hospital Trnava
- Physician at the psychiatric surgery at Psychiatric Department of the University Hospital Trnava
- From July 2019 - Deputy Head of Psychiatric Department at the University Hospital Trnava
- Autumn 2019 - article in the journal “Modern Gynecology and Obstetrics “- Post-partum Psychosis as an interdisciplinary problem
- June 2020 - specialization exam in the field of psychiatry
- 2021 - article in the journal “Psychiatry for practice 01/2021 “- Psychiatric aspects of bariatric operations
- 2021 - article in the journal “Psychiatry for practice 04/2021” - Psychological profile of a morbidly obese patient interested in metabolic-bariatric surgery, case study
From October 10, 2020 until now Medirex a.s., office: Holubyho 35, 90201 Pezinok - employment agreement. Job description: Collection of biological material - Covid 19 testing.